Strategy & Media Planning | Buying
Needed to turn commuting drivers along the I-5 corridor into train riders.
Had to help alleviate congestion along the I-5 to help facilitate ongoing, corridor-wide construction projects.
- The Car is King in Southern California.
- Needed to hyper-target I-5 freeway commuters.
Sensis was only required to develop strategic messaging considerations, media placement and buying.
Created a geo-targeted campaign to increase relevancy – highlighting traffic-related messages along freeway OOH, and serving up ads to gridlocked drivers using Waze.
Built up awareness of an alternate solution via the OOH boards and live traffic reads.
Provided free trial ride tickets to encourage a test run by commuters, promoted via direct mail (door hangers and post cards), social media ads, Waze, Pandora, and Gmail advertising.
- Metrolink trains ridership increased up to 4.4% when other train ridership was on a decline.
- Metrolink has retained 1 out of 5 trial riders.
- In 2015, 316 Waze users rerouted their GPS destination to a nearby Metrolink station (considered a very strong user action, and a credit to Waze ad effectiveness, which overall boasted a 0.44% CTR in 2015—with a 0.08% benchmark).
- Door hanger redemption rates for the first two years were up to 3.5% (industry average is 1.0-1.5%).
In a survey, billboard ads were highly recalled—Metrolink trial users were more likely to recall the billboards and door-hangers than respondents who did not try the train; none of the respondents had previously taken Metrolink.